Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: the Caps lose to the Pens in overtime but clinch playoff berth, a goalie choice awaits, the AHL makes some scheduling announcements and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Don’t miss out on the latest episode of Japers’ Rink Radio, in which Adam is joined by none other than Alan May to discuss all things Washington Capitals. [Rink]
- Recaps and other assorted bits and bobs from last night’s OT loss to the Penguins from us, Vogs, Peerless, WaPo, NHL, Capitals video (Laviolette, Lars Eller, Dmitry Orlov, recap, condensed game) AP, Reuters, NBCSW, NoVa Caps, and RMNB.
- The Capitals? Postseason-bound, boys and girls and babes. [Capitals]
- The Capitals celebrated their 19th annual Military Night at Capital One Arena last night, and the special military-themed warmup jerseys that the players wore are up for auction to benefit Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS). The auction closes next Friday, May 7, so make sure to check it out! [Capitals]
- The AHL announced yesterday that they will not be holding the Calder Cup Playoffs this year due to league COVID-19 protocols; they also approved the calendar for the 2021-2022 season. [AHL, NoVa Caps]
- The Capitals don’t have a true Number 1 Goalie this season, so who starts in the playoffs? [Athletic ($)]
- Check out what some fans had to say about attending the first Caps’ game at Capital One Arena this season. [S+S]
- The latest NHL power rankings from Sportsnet have the Caps in the top five. [Sportsnet]
- The Capitals have a shot at the Stanley Cup this year, so here are three reasons why they can win it all. [Fansided]
- In case you’ve only been paying attention to MassMutual East Division play this season, make sure you get up to speed on the other three divisions before the playoffs begin. [ESPN+]
- If you haven’t yet decided who else to root for in the playoffs, maybe these suggestions for stretch outcomes can help. [Athletic ($)]
- The latest tool teams are using behind the bench? An iPad with instant access to all kinds of game date. [Sportsnet]
- Finally, happy 55th birthday to Jeff Brown and happy 64th birthday to Dave Parro!