Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images
Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: The Caps return to action against the Cats, the GM discusses the state of his team and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- Previews of tonight’s Caps-Cats clash from Vogs, NBCSW, NHL, Peerless, NoVa Caps, and Field Level Media, and be sure to check out our SB Nation pals over at Litter Box Cats for the other side of tonight’s matchup.
- GM Brian MacLellan chatted with the media yesterday to talk about Nicklas Backstrom’s contract negotiations… [NBCSW, WashTimes]
- …the team’s inconsistency on the blueline so far… [WaPo]
- …and his frustration at Garnet Hathaway being made an example of for the horrific crime of spitting. [NBCSW]
- The Caps may want to keep Nicklas Backstrom, but they need to avoid getting too sentimental to the point of overpaying him. [THW]
- How big a problem are the team’s defensive issues? [NoVa Caps]
- The Caps are starting to heal up just in time for a big trip out west to take on the California trio. [NBCSW]
- Hangin’ on to the top spot once again in this week’s Super 16: your Washington Capitals. [NHL]
- Hear from the coach after yesterday’s practice at Medstar. [Caps video]
- The good folks at Capitals Outsider have done the legwork to put together a database of every first NHL goal scored in a Caps uniform. Very cool. [Caps Outsider]
- Cool story about an Australian couple that fell in love with the Caps on a visit to DC years ago and has turned it into an annual hockey pilgrimage. [NBCSW]
- Finally, happy 61st birthday to Al Jensen.